Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Own "National Volunteer Week" Thank You!

So after months of preparation, promotion and hard work, National Volunteer Week has come to an end. As a first time co-ordinator of such a campaign I must state that I had little idea as to how a campaign of this type would evolve. Who could we reach, how could we reach them and what would be the ultimate message received. I must say that despite hours upon hours of worrying I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome of NVW. From the small scale celebrations in our communities to larger more national recognition such as that from the House of Commons, our incredible country has once again proved the size of our hearts by embracing NVW and ensuring that we show the volunteers of our country their worth.

To me, volunteerism is so much more than taking a day to give back, volunteers are the thread in the fabric of our country. In my life they have been coaches, directors, fellow actors and musicians, fellow builders, organizers, managers, nurses, teachers, mentors and life-changers. When I think back to pivotal moments in my life I see the efforts of volunteers around the perimeter of my personal existence and the mark they've left is beautiful.

The age of thirteen is already awkward year. Thirteen means high school, more responsibility, social pressure and for us young women the peak of our physical maturation. Needless to say, this tall, socially awkward and very insecure girl from a small town was less than excited to jump into this new stage of my life, especially since I would be attending a brand new school, in a new city, knowing absolutely no one. Despite my concerns and the potential for disaster here, it was this year that my life was changed and I was pointed on the road that would ultimately shape my adult life. A teacher at our school had offered his time and expertise in the sport of rowing, a sport that is best practiced at 5am, for up to 5 hours a day and conditions (some mornings) that one can only compare with that of "The Tempest". He was there every morning with his cup of coffee, motivation, encouragement, guidance and most importantly patience. Our coach, gave up time with his wife, time he should have been grading papers, creating lesson plans or SLEEPING, to guide his athletes down a path that has lead the majority of us lucky ones in incredible directions.

This National Volunteer Week, I specifically want to thank Cam Jones who served as a mentor and taught a young 13 year old about perseverance, passion and dedication; traits which I call upon daily and have guided me through a Canadian National Championship, as an NCAA rower and now as the Campaign Coordinator of National Volunteer Week.

The efforts of volunteers have a butterfly effect that can only better our communities and ultimately the lives touched by the hands of volunteerism. Those who benefit from the hours of Canada's volunteers are millions and I know I speak for them when I extend my own gratitude for their efforts.

Thank you Canada for your time, your effort and skills. Thank you for reaching out, being passionate and taking action in areas that you believe in. It is because of you that we live in such an incredible country and not only this past week, but all 365 days know that your efforts are not forgotten, but celebrated by us lucky ones who reap the rewards of your work.

Sincerely,

Kate Brownlee


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for for eloquently telling your story and for creating such a compelling campaign. Your enthusiasm and creativity have led Volunteer Canada in directions we never thought possible. Congratulations and thank you!

    ReplyDelete